Wednesday 26 November 2008

Monkeys

I've just been watching David Attenborough's 'Cheeky Monkey' (available on BBC iplayer until December 16th). You can't not love monkeys! The quiet, attentive care shown to a grieving mother, the despair of a failed watchman and the ministrations to a fallen warrior were bizarrely moving. Yet it was the nut-cracking production line (about 45 minutes in) that most fascinated me. I was almost envious of their patience, perseverance and eventual pleasure.

Which musings brought me almost too neatly to this morning's criticisms of Rowan Williams. Christmas comes too soon, he argues, because of our need for instant gratification. His recommendation is to immerse ourselves instead in the beauty of 'waiting.'

Watch the whole of his Advent message here, it's rather lovely:










I can't think of a better recommendation - especially this year. I long for this Christmas to be a time when we can regain some of the lost reflection, wonder and expectation of Advent; and perhaps some of the joy, creativity, sharing and focus on relationships that Christmas offers. And it goes without saying that I long for this Christmas to be a time when people recognise the outpouring of God's love that is Christ.


Call me a sentimental, idealistic old tart - but I can't think of a better way to survive the 'festive' season. Yet the message has been branded as 'a rant' in one of the dailies - and anyone who tries to bring Christmas back into focus deemed Scrooge-like.



Still - and somewhat ironically - I'm now singing 'Jingle Bell Rock' instead of writing my apt liturgy essay!

No comments: